Dog Trends In the Home
Luxurious living today isn’t just for you – it’s also for your pets! Here are a few of the home features I’ve seen recently that are 100% pet-approved:
- Pet Washing Stations – This trend is practical and functional. Homeowners are installing pet showers and baths to easily clean their pets at home.
- Smart Dog Collars – Doggy doors used to be a big problem. While it was convenient for Spot to go in and out of the house, it also provided easy access for intruders to enter the home through that same miniature door. Today, smart collars feature programmable selective entry, exit and auto-locking options, so pets can do their business and your home stays safe!
- The Catio or Doggy-O – This outdoor enclosures provide safe and convenient outdoor access for your pets, with protective fencing so other animals (like coyotes) can’t get in.
- Pet Lofts – Extra space above your bed? Give your dog or cat a loft to hang out in, made just for them! Some of my clients build ramps that go up on either side of their bed leading to a cut out at the top of wall where they place cozy beds for their dogs.
- Automatic Water Stations – Some new construction homes today are hooked up with automatic water stations that dispense purified water to pet bowls through a separate faucet. A sensor can detect when the bowl is empty and will automatically refill!
- Secure Property Fencing – This one is a big deal – and something we recently had to do in our home! With the threat of coyotes, it’s important to check and make sure your fence is completely secure. Coyotes will not only dig down under the fence but also hop over fences that aren’t secure. Some people think, “Oh, I’ll just put up a six-foot fence, they can’t possibly climb over that!” Let me tell you: They can. I’ve seen coyotes jump eight-foot fences before. The latest in secure fencing features rollers installed with plastic piping, so when a coyote attempts to jump the fence, they roll right off. Any good fencing company can come over and make the swap, and it’ll be worth it to keep your pets safe!
My Picks for Local Doggy Daycare
Fantastic and luxurious bed boarding and day care. They even have bedrooms with dog TVs and coordinate small dog playdates.
Tarzana Location: 1605 Topham St., Tarzana, CA 91335
West L.A. location: 2040 Cotner Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90025
Perks include a dog spa and spacious dog bedrooms with pet beds, feeding bowls, and toys.
Location: 13511 Ventura Blvd., Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
Accommodations include standard suites, luxury suites and the Majestic Suite for the ultimate in pet boarding.
Servicing all over L.A., including: Westlake Village, Calabasas, Malibu, Thousand Oaks, Hidden Hills and Oak Park.
Dog Treats and Dog-friendly Eateries
- Garden Cafe – 351 Woodman Ave.Sherman Oaks, CA. They’ll bring your dog a water bowl!
- Three Dog Bakery – 17301 Ventura Blvd., Studio City, CA. Baked treats for your dog!
- Just Food For Dogs – 13900 Ventura Blvd., Sherman Oaks, CA. We love their home-made dog food.
- Nicola’s Kitchen – 15600 Ventura Blvd., Encino, CA. A cute, dog-friendly place for brunch!
- The Front Yard – 422 Vineland Ave., North Hollywood, CA. The patio is big and cozy!
So there you have it. My list of local pet resources for your four-legged, furry family. As always, if you have any questions or want additional pet-friendly advice, contact me any time!